Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow XVers!

Ok, looking straight on at the glove box....

there is a trim piece just above it, and then the dash starts. My question is, what is behind that immediate section of the dash? is it just void space? I can't see where an air bag would physically deploy out of that section (though perhaps one does from that little trim piece just below that area)?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
352 Posts
Not positive with the Crosstrek, but with some cars I have seen, the airbag simply rips through the dash. There are sections of it that are thinner, almost perforated, to 'guide' the rip and ensure the airbag comes out smoothly and quickly. Kind of like this:

You can see where the rip was guided. There is almost a pattern to the tear.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice photo Rallye! Thanks for the details on that. So... still wondering about that particular "void" in that section of the dash circled in the photo I posted.
I have reviewed a couple schematics of the passenger front air bags. Though the schemes didn't give me a good look at where the air bags are actually stored and deploying from, I have a feeling they consume that portion of the dash in some manner and that perhaps this is why Subie did not put any sort of emblem on that part of the dash. I'm hoping that's not the case, but thought best to check out here.

·
Registered
714 Posts
That is the passenger airbag. There are no visible markings on the dash but if it were to deploy there are sections designed to rip away to allow it to pass through.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was hoping you would chime-in here Subir. That answers my question perfectly! And, totally eliminates the option to place any thing on that spot, even if it was just with sticky tape.

Ok, I'm off to find a new place to put my new chrome emblem. Thanks again, Subir!!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Good call! I see a surprisingly large amount of people mount things over airbags... *shudder* :-\

·
Registered
79 Posts
Subir_roo said:
Good call! I see a surprisingly large amount of people mount things over airbags... *shudder* :-\
Exactly...... Sorry we don't have to pay for your facial reconstruction since you obstructed the air-bag deployment with your emblem, boy did that tape stick.
Sincerely your Insurance Claims Investigator.

·
Registered
73 Posts
In a related question, is there a diagram somewhere showing exactly where the airbags are in the Crosstrek? I apologize if this is answered elsewhere, I haven't looked around yet.

·
Registered
714 Posts
AWDfreak for the win! Thank you sir.

·
Registered
421 Posts
if you look at the top part of the passenger dash at an angle from the drivers seat, you can make out the faint outline of the rectangle that is the breaking points of the air bag. The above schematic shows this is where the bag deploys from

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
I wouldn't say "back", more like checking in. I'll be checking in occassionally the next one to two weeks. Not a lot of extra time like I usually did.

And if the pictures aren't satisfactory, crash test videos can help pinpoint the locations of the airbag panels.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts