Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm in the process of changing my 2014 XV limited's rear wheel bearing hubs again(this is the 2nd time in 90,000 miles :mad:). Thankfully they were easy to pry out.

Does anyone know the torque specs for the 4 hub bolts and the axle nut? I haven't been able to find them online.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Welp,

I called Subaru headquarters and two service centers for the information I needed.

For anyone else:

150 foot lbs on the rear axle nuts and 48 foot lbs on the wheel hub bearing. These torq specs are important due to the sandwich conjugation of the axle spindle -> wheel hub bearing. Torq it too hard and something will crack, torq it too lightly and the hub will die prematurely.

I'm selling this pos, that's 4 bearings in 90k miles, not to mention the multiple notices on engine short block/ac failures.

Good luck with these things.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had the same issues with my 2014 (AC compressor/condenser, wheel bearing hubs, axle shafts, seized idler pulleys, oil burning, funky CVT shudder / bucking / surging (3 Subaru dealers said normal CVT behavior, LOL), so happy I sold it @ 75K miles (good trade price from a non Subaru dealer). After 2 good Subaru cars (1984 & 2004) I switched brands, you can tell the quality is just not with Subaru anymore. So many better AWD vehicles out there. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Silly question, but aren't the rear axle nuts the ones that tighten the wheel hub bearings? I've been trying to figure out what the difference between the two are and just get more confused, and still don't know what torque to use.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’m glad you called, I changed my bearing assemblies 2 years ago and gave them the German torque. No issues yet. Also, I’m too cheap to buy a torque wrench, even though I could borrow them from work 😂😂

·
Registered
2 Posts
I figured the hub nut is the 150 ft-lbs. Not sure what the German torque is, I figured since I weigh 180 lbs I put a line at 10" (equal to 150 ft-lbs) on my breaker bar and put all my weight at that mark.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts