Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it a Subaru-standard to include wheel locks on all of their cars off the lot? Mine came with them and I am grateful because I actually had a wheel stolen off of one of my old cars (actually a 2003 WRX) right outside of my apartment when I was living in Orlando.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also never ever heard that the manufacturer give the lock free with the car because its not as cheep as you are thinking. The lock is more then $150. So I think you have to buy that by yourself. But they are very effective to prevent car from stolen.

Thule Roof Racks

·
Registered
500 Posts
From what I can tell, dealers will order their allotted vehicles in different configurations. Sometimes all weather mats will be included, sometimes upgraded sound, sometimes fully loaded, etc, to serve a variety of options.

It could be that yours happened to have been ordered with the wheel locks, or it may be that your dealer does throw them in with Subarus. Either way, nice.

Edit to add: Unless CC is referring to something else, the wheel locks for the XV are only ~$24. (http://www.subarugenuineparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=138_140&products_id=1958)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Must have been a hook up from the dealer because I didn't get any wheel locks. Besides, I've never been a fan of wheel locks, especially when the wheels are stock.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Wheel locks are a port installed option at the request of the dealer. You will pay for them in the final price of the car but, like many other accessories, they are installed at the port when the car reaches the US. Quite a few of the accessories are port installed by Subaru, not installed by your dealer.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Subir_roo said:
Wheel locks are a port installed option at the request of the dealer. You will pay for them in the final price of the car but, like many other accessories, they are installed at the port when the car reaches the US. Quite a few of the accessories are port installed by Subaru, not installed by your dealer.
Interesting, good to know! I am happy to have them, too. When I had my WRX and was living in Orlando I came out of my (pretty nice/upscale) apartment complex to find one of my wheels missing and I was sitting up on a cinder block. Fun times.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Yeah I've been there. We lost a center bolt race wheel off a VW to a thief... not sure why anyone would take a wheel they can't use but oh well.

·
Registered
927 Posts
What is the lug size. I know they are metric. I have powder coated black Gorilla Locks on my jeep and want them for the XV

Sent from my iPad II using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had wheel locks on my stock wheel for my WRX and OBS, I thought they were pointless. However my Xb had Work wheels so I made sure those were locked. I guess it comes to preference and sense of security.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I figure since they were part of the price of my car it can't hurt to have them there. It'll make it that much harder for someone to just grab the wheels off my car.

·
Registered
500 Posts
While they weren't factory, I did have a set of wheels that someone had started to steel on my last car. Long story short, lost the wheel going down the parkway at 45-50mph.

The XV's wheels look so much nicer than those - I don't want to take chances, especially since the locks are only ~$25

·
Registered
113 Posts
Wheel locks are not standard dealers who are located in areas if high wheel theft and a generally high crime area will put these on all there vehicles they sell as a marketing tool.

Your dealer is smart I think all cars should have wheel locks standard especially since they come with a identification card you mail to the makers of the locks with the code on them to order a key or more wheel lock lugs. Always good in case it gets lost.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Wheel locks were on the car when I purchased, and the sales guy brought an unopened package to me as I was pulling out of the lot after sale. Not that I needed the lugs, but that I needed the key socket.

I usually feel the same as most re stock wheels, but the XV stockers are kind of rad.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts