Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my XV (Pearl white - Codename "Stormtrooper) today and I've been tinkering with USB/iPod audio source. I am disappointed that my 500GB hard drive (formatted to FAT32) isn't recognized. I shall resort to a iPod Classic for a while.

I began to wonder which media source has a faster (if notable) access time, the USB Flash device or an iPod. The iPod Classic I have now is a 160GB and it is a few songs short of full at 17657 songs/142.88GB. Accessing the iPod is a little laggy, but not as bad as my Ford Freestyle with a JVC head unit. I am considering purchasing a large capacity (128GB) USB Flash drive so the iPod can be used in other locations. I am curious if a large capacity USB Flash drive is any faster than an iPod. Is there any particular protocol that has proven to make access faster? (Root folder being a large number of master folders, or just a few folders broken down by genre?)

Has anyone found a 128GB USB Flash that the stereo recognizes? Any specific format (FAT23, exFAT, NTFS)?

I have the NAV radio, and I'm not sure of the exact model number. I will follow up with that info if it is relevant.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I only use my iphone for the ipod feature but it is a bit laggy, from ignition to play is about 5 seconds using bluetooth. but I've heard that the stock stereo isn't updated enough for the newer media devices

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use a 64GB Ceton USB Stick (formatted FAT32) and have over 32GB of music on the key (and growing). The initial time I put the key into the factory NAV stereo, it took over 3 minutes to read it. If I stopped the car, restarted it, it took another 3 minutes which was tiresome & unacceptable.

Further research on this board proved that it was due to the limitation of the stereo and the individual files in a single folder (ex. having a single folder with over 1400 individual MP3's). I had to re-format my music on the key (using MediaMonkey), placing the artist as a separate folder, then the song:

Example:

2000 (Folder Name for all songs of this decade)

3 Doors Down\Here Without You.mp3
Against Me!\I was a teenage Anarchist.mp3
Angels & Airwave\True Love.mp3

Now the music starts in about 45 seconds. Still a delay, but significantly better than the 3 minutes and there is no lag when I scroll through tracks, etc.

Hope this helps.

Pancho

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I already have my folders very organized like this: Music>Artist folders>Album folders>Songs. Since I have 354 artist folders, I should consider classifying the artists by Genre so that it would be Music>Genre>Artist folders>Album folders>Songs. Might even remove the "Music" folder from the root and just go straight into "Genre".

That will take time and deep thought because there is a fine line between Metal and Hard Rock. Where would YOU put Sevendust or John 5?

At 178.52GB, I will have to get a few drives. Does this system recognize USB 3.0 drives?

·
Registered
49 Posts
pancho16 said:
I use a 64GB Ceton USB Stick (formatted FAT32) and have over 32GB of music on the key (and growing). The initial time I put the key into the factory NAV stereo, it took over 3 minutes to read it. If I stopped the car, restarted it, it took another 3 minutes which was tiresome & unacceptable.

Further research on this board proved that it was due to the limitation of the stereo and the individual files in a single folder (ex. having a single folder with over 1400 individual MP3's). I had to re-format my music on the key (using MediaMonkey), placing the artist as a separate folder, then the song:

Example:

2000 (Folder Name for all songs of this decade)

3 Doors Down\Here Without You.mp3
Against Me!\I was a teenage Anarchist.mp3
Angels & Airwave\True Love.mp3

Now the music starts in about 45 seconds. Still a delay, but significantly better than the 3 minutes and there is no lag when I scroll through tracks, etc.

Hope this helps.

Pancho
It basically depends on the size of the file table (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table). Less files, no matter how they are organized will load quicker. Breaking it up the way you did makes a huge improvement in speed, its the same thing I do with my 64gb drive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts