Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if anyone was torn between the two?
I live in Houston, TX, where it rarely snows & even then, it's maybe an inch, so the extra ride height doesn't have a distinct advantage over the Impreza here. It would come in handy during deer season when I'm down on our ranch, but otherwise not much.
Personally, I like the looks of the XV over the Impreza, the front & rear fascias, wheels & cladding. Not a huge fan of the huge foglight housings on the Impreza.

Anyone else have a tough time deciding between the two?

·
Registered
500 Posts
For me it was largely the look, the clearance, and the towing capacity of the XV.

While I don't expect to tow or go off road terribly often, I did like the thought of having the option if I desired. I also wanted to be able to put my road and mountain bikes on a hitch rack rather than roof rack. The XV seemed better suited to that - hitch rack would allow for bikes and towing, and give better clearance for driving over uneven terrain and not bottoming out the bike rack.

Plus I'm a tall guy at 6'4", and the taller vehicle suits me a bit better.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I completely agree with chasem. The Impreza never even was a consideration for me. I know it shares a lot with the Crosstrek but, for whatever reason, it does not appeal to me in any way. The Crosstrek just offers everything that I want and in a good looking, unique package. I would rather pay a little more to get the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Like others have said the Impreza wasn't even a consideration during my shopping. I need some light towing ability and I like the rugged, off-road look/nature of the XV.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I drive a hour and half to work each way, so I wanted the XV for the extra 3 inches of height.

Just took delivery of my XV tonight! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
714 Posts
The Impreza was never on my radar. The Forester was more of a consideration than the Impreza. I picked the Crosstrek after driving a few cars and really really liking it. Plus working for part of a Subaru dealership made the pricing very hard to resist!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Tech707 said:
spyder720 said:
I just loved the way it looked. I had an Outback Sport and felt as if this was his brother on steroids.
The XV is everything the Outback Sport wanted to be 8)
MMMMMM Steroids! Make you grow big and strong... and angry :mad:

But I agree, the looks are great!

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Tech707 said:
spyder720 said:
I just loved the way it looked. I had an Outback Sport and felt as if this was his brother on steroids.
Yes! I had an OBS, 2003, and I liked it but didn't love it. I did, however, love Subarus so when I found out about the Crosstrek I jumped on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I chose it for the extra clearance although the Impreza was never an option for me. I was going to try and wait for the new 2014 Forester to make my choice between those two but my current car was suddently taken to car heaven so I had to make my decision sooner rather than later.

The XV is more rugged, better offroad capabilities and I like the option of the hitch. I've never been a big fan of bikes on top of the car next to my box so I had to have a hitch option. Plus it's just an overall more badass looking vehicle!

·
Registered
164 Posts
The Impreza is no longer available in Belgium, otherwise I would probably have gone for that if the specs and features were similar.
I don't really need the extra ground clearance, but it's a nice bonus with the state of our roads.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Subir_roo said:
Tech707 said:
spyder720 said:

Haha, if only the steroids pumped up the HP on the XV.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
spyder720 said:
Subir_roo said:
Tech707 said:
spyder720 said:

Haha, if only the steroids pumped up the HP on the XV.
Very true, but so far I am pretty impressed with the little 148HP engine that could.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm in Houston also, and was looking to buy either an Impreza or the XV. The reason I went with the XV was the ground clearance, its better to have it than not, especially if you do go out to a ranch. Would the impreza do fine on the dirt/muddy roads yes, but what happens when you need to get over something. Not everything is flat. Plus the flash flooding in certain areas of Houston (i'm by memorial park) can be ridiculous. I drove a civic in that crap, i got through alright, but now i know i won't be up to my licence plate in water. I also like to take road trips, i have family and friends in Chicago, Colorado, New York, New Hampshire. I like not having to worry that my car won't be able to handle a weather situation. Now its a non issue. and also, i like the way it looks!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Impreza was never on my radar either. WRX has been for a long time but I'm trying to save a little money as long as this economy is questionable and the Crosstrek delivers a lot of fun, flexibility, and value.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We dont get the sports in AUS but i did drive the top of the line Impreza-s cvt but the extra height and look of the XV-S is what sold me.

·
Registered
243 Posts
HoustonXV said:
I live in Houston, TX, where it rarely snows & even then, it's maybe an inch, so the extra ride height doesn't have a distinct advantage over the Impreza here. It would come in handy during deer
Native Houstonian here. I like the ride height for dealing with street flooding. We've had some dry years but many places in this town can flood and flood fast. The height makes the flooding issue a little less annoying - especially after switching from a Mazda3 which has around 4 inches of clearance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The main reason for me was the towing. It looks great as well and really like to off road capability of the Crosstrek

1 - 19 of 19 Posts