Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Awesome post, thanks for sharing!

I buy Subarus because when I was younger I really wanted a WRX, saved up, got one, and fell in love. Now I am going on my third Suby because my last two have had a history of reliability and dependability and that is what I look for in a car.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just like the Administrator, when I was young I fell in love with the WRX. The power, the look, and the awd drivetrain. I bought my first Subie in 2007. It was a 2006 WRX TR and I ended up getting a Cobb Turboback with a Cobb Accessport. I loved it, even after I got into a front end fender bender that ended the life of it. After that I got an automatic tranny 2008 Outback Sport. I like that car but the motor was outdated and the gas mileage sucked.

I was on the verge of getting a gti because the gas mileage is great and I've heard nothing but great things about it. But I stopped off at Subaru to take a look at the Impreza sports but after seeing the XV Crosstrek in person and the price being what it is, I fell in love. The gas mileage is great too. Granted it doesn't have the power I want it has the mileage range I love.

Also, if you've ever drive an awd in the rain or snow you'll know why people rarely leave the Subaru family once they buy one.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Twist2Stop said:
Interesting that they say that about the lubricated starts. It is the cause of many of their leaky headgaskets.
The leaky headgaskets thing is a very touchy subject and there has been quite a lot of debate regarding that. And allow me to clarify...

The EJ25D (DOHC, non-turbo) engines that Subaru produced were installed with a faulty head gasket from the factory. This faulty gasket was a severe one, in that it allowed coolant and oil to mix together. I have personally experienced this failure and it fails with little to no warning if one does not inspect their engine bay EVERY DAY.

The early EJ25 SOHC engines had anexternal head gasket leak. Meaning, it was a minor oil leak that leaked outside the cooling passages. No mixing of the two occurred unless the issue would never be caught and would deteriorate to a severe head gasket leak.
For this type of head gasket issue, Subaru required the use of the "Subaru Cooling Conditioner", which was actually Holts Radweld (from the United Kingdom).
Since then, every Subaru coolant change at a dealership has REQUIRED the use of this stop-leak product (it is supposedly required if one wants to keep the warranty valid).

There have been documented cases of relatively "early" head gasket issues on both newer turbo and non-turbo EJ engines, but I have not read enough into it to really know if it is a genuine widespread problem.

As far as I know, the newer Subaru FB/FA engines should be free of any head-gasket leaks that involve the seepage of coolant.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
AWDfreak said:
Twist2Stop said:
Interesting that they say that about the lubricated starts. It is the cause of many of their leaky headgaskets.
The leaky headgaskets thing is a very touchy subject and there has been quite a lot of debate regarding that. And allow me to clarify...

The EJ25D (DOHC, non-turbo) engines that Subaru produced were installed with a faulty head gasket from the factory. This faulty gasket was a severe one, in that it allowed coolant and oil to mix together. I have personally experienced this failure and it fails with little to no warning if one does not inspect their engine bay EVERY DAY.

The early EJ25 SOHC engines had anexternal head gasket leak. Meaning, it was a minor oil leak that leaked outside the cooling passages. No mixing of the two occurred unless the issue would never be caught and would deteriorate to a severe head gasket leak.
For this type of head gasket issue, Subaru required the use of the "Subaru Cooling Conditioner", which was actually Holts Radweld (from the United Kingdom).
Since then, every Subaru coolant change at a dealership has REQUIRED the use of this stop-leak product (it is supposedly required if one wants to keep the warranty valid).

There have been documented cases of relatively "early" head gasket issues on both newer turbo and non-turbo EJ engines, but I have not read enough into it to really know if it is a genuine widespread problem.

As far as I know, the newer Subaru FB/FA engines should be free of any head-gasket leaks that involve the seepage of coolant.
Good info. I always heard about the head gasket thing but was luckily not to get a leaky one with my two Subarus. It's nice to hear that it sounds as if the problem is fixed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Got said:
As the Crosstrek is my fist Subaru, I came across this when I was doing my due diligence.

Apologies if it's posted somewhere else.

It might help someone who is in the same boat as I was.

http://www.subaruofkeene.com/subaru-competitive-edge.htm
I know this is an older thread but great info! I never took the time to watch this before. Even though I am on my 2nd Subaru I always thought the "Symmetrical All Wheel Drive" was more marketing hype then actual real world value until I watched all the videos. :eek: And its cool that this Subaru dealer is here in NH about an hour from where I live.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Subaru's are great cars, but I have to take issue with the #2 reason in the first post that shows the oil levels. This is a gross exaggeration and I'd actually have to say it is not true. I've owned several Porsches with flat motor configurations, currently own 2 and a new XV. I have worked on and built flat motors, both automotive and motorcycle (BMW) since the '60s. In the diagram showing the oil levels is totally wrong. Neither motor would run like that with the pil level that high. The oil level in each motor is well below the piston and connecting rod level. The ad agency apparently has no knowledge of motor workings and should stick to facts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts