Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
The Crosstrek does produce a good deal amount of wind noise. In fact, that was one of the main things I remember reading about it before I bought mine. To deal with it, I just turn the music up! I have had mine for 10 months now and I don't really notice anymore. I don't know if there is any way to actually reduce it, though.

·
Registered
88 Posts
That's one of the earlier topics here when this forum was new. I noticed it when I test drove the car but bought it anyway. I guess you'll get used to it. I don't notice it anymore.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yeah, it seems to be inherent in the design. It doesn't bother me when I'm alone .. I blast the stereo but when I have people in the car it makes it hard to have a conversation without yelling. :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
jamesxv said:
Yeah, it seems to be inherent in the design. It doesn't bother me when I'm alone .. I blast the stereo but when I have people in the car it makes it hard to have a conversation without yelling. :)
Lol I don't know if it's that loud. But yeah I don't notice it anymore.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
275 Posts
Huh, What did you say? Kidding. I think it is noisy but no more so than any of my past vehicles. You could try to add sound deadening material like Raammat, dynamat, fatmat, or frost king to any of the interior body metal and maybe a layer of foam over that. Of course you have to strip the interior to do so.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Coming from a soft top jeep wrangler, my XV is verrrry quiet. Lol. I guess because of my perspective, I don't really hear wind noise.

·
Registered
552 Posts
It is a little known fact that radios were installed in vehicles to drown out wind noise, wives/ girl friends constant yapping and screaming kids or passengers.

-Wilco

·
Registered
45 Posts
Got to agree with Trekker2014, I think it's perspective. Compared to other stuff I drive, the XV is the very quiet. My 2 cents

·
Registered
45 Posts
It has a little bit of wind noise but I'd expect that from any vehicle with roof racks and big azz mirrors. The tires seem to make more noise to me. Road surfaces will make determine a lot of that noise too

·
Registered
137 Posts
I added some extra carpeting on my cargo tray way in the back end. I think that cut down on some of the road noise. Also, I found that as I get older and as my hearing gets worse the less noisy my cars seem to be. However if you're young you may have to wait awhile for that to be any help to you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm in Southern California, and I went to both Puente Hills Subaru and Timmons Subaru of Long Beach, both said they could not duplicate the noise I was hearing at 65 mph. Puente Hills even said that the noise is standard because they test drove a brand new one and the noise was still there, they put 65 miles on my car to try to duplicate the noise I was hearing. For my next oil change I took my car to Irvine Subaru and they found the problem! Even showed me where the triangle glass at the front passenger side moves when you try to move it compared to the front driver side, which didn't. Seems like a standard flaw to me.

Here is what my receipt said:
OCTOBER 2015 WIND NOISE
During Inspection found passenger front partition glass molding needs to be replaced. Replace Front Passenger Glass Molding
C914413 .1
WA123
(They needed to order the part and would repair when it arrives, so I went back in November)
NOVEMBER 2015 WIND NOISE
Customer states to have wind noise coming from front passenger glass.
During inspection verified customer's concern, found passenger side front quarter glass loose and needs to be replaced along with the molding. Replaced passenger side front quarter glass. Test drove vehicle and no more noise heard.
B914411 .3
C914413 .1
WAE 27

QTY 1 FP Number 61012FJ400 Description Glass DR F P
QTY 1 FP Number 61284FJ001 Description WSTR PARTITI

Thanks to Irvine Subaru, I don't hear wind noise other than the usual expected. I hope you get this or any molding around the windshield or glass checked out, seems that could be the problem!

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
Appreciate you sharing this, despite the old thread age!

Obviously a technician at Irvine Subaru did a good thorough inspection. You may want to keep that technician's name in mind if another hard-to-find issue like that pops up!

·
Registered
2 Posts
For over a year I was on the forums searching for answers and didn't find one, so hopefully if someone does a search they'll be able to find this solution, instead of being forced to blast the music, like me to drown out that noise in a newly purchased car, it was so frustrating! Take care!

·
Registered
30 Posts
It is a little known fact that radios were installed in vehicles to drown out wind noise, wives/ girl friends constant yapping and screaming kids or passengers.

-Wilco
Unfortunately the stock audio system with the kicker speaker upgrade can't drown out the noise the car makes. I wish they sold cars without radios for savings.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Unfortunately the stock audio system with the kicker speaker upgrade can't drown out the noise the car makes. I wish they sold cars without radios for savings.
Adjust the equalizer. I've got the Kicker speaker upgrade, minus the subwoofer, and found that most of the equalizer settings need turned almost all the way up. That worked for me. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts