Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hearing a lot of chatter lately about windshields spontaneously cracking in 2018-19 Outbacks due to defects. Up until today, I had not heard anything about our XVs.

Has anyone experienced this issue with their CrossTrek? Despite the numerous complaints, Subaru dealerships seems to be blaming the customers. Even the ones that have been back for the 2nd and even 3rd time!

This is just one one of many articles on this issue:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t82803_ds994225

Regards,
Keith

·
Registered
51 Posts
Been reading that the Forester has a "weak" windshield also. Mine is a '16 and no issues to date. I hope when my Crosstrek is built in a few weeks that a get a "tough" one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I replaced my windshield

I received a small chip on my windshield and it quickly cracked and spread from the middle to the edge within 10 minutes. It was expensive to replace too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I received a small chip on my windshield and it quickly cracked and spread from the middle to the edge within 10 minutes. It was expensive to replace too.
Hi, not sure where you are, but most insurance will replace the windshield and waive the deductible if cracked.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had mine replaced

Had a 15 XV & the windshield started cracking from the bottom up on passenger side, fought like hell with dealership, got it replaced under warranty, but they fought it till I got my way. The service guy literally took a pen & tried to create a spot to say it was a rock issue.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have replaced my windshield on my 2013 MT twice. there is currently a crack that needs replacing again... of course, that one happened about 3 days after a new windshield was installed. Mine have all been due to rocks hitting the windshield, but the glass cracks instantly. No chip initially that you can get sealed, just rock, then crack, then the crack grows. The two replacement windshields have been through Safelite, not the dealership. I have never had a cracked windshield previously, so it seems like the quality of the glass is poor.

Krista

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have replaced my windshield on my 2013 MT twice. there is currently a crack that needs replacing again... of course, that one happened about 3 days after a new windshield was installed. Mine have all been due to rocks hitting the windshield, but the glass cracks instantly. No chip initially that you can get sealed, just rock, then crack, then the crack grows. The two replacement windshields have been through Safelite, not the dealership. I have never had a cracked windshield previously, so it seems like the quality of the glass is poor.

Krista

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had to replace my windshield on my 2014 Crosstrek 1x so far. Crack started from the bottom up, no rock / debris/ impact of any kind. Just splintered up one day.

·
Registered
26 Posts
When I was first looking to buy a Crosstrek, the dealer had a used, 1 or 2 year old model on the lot that had an obvious windshield replacement in which the trim was not replaced correctly. I think this is an issue that's been around a few years.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been hearing a lot of chatter lately about windshields spontaneously cracking in 2018-19 Outbacks due to defects. Up until today, I had not heard anything about our XVs.

Has anyone experienced this issue with their CrossTrek? Despite the numerous complaints, Subaru dealerships seems to be blaming the customers. Even the ones that have been back for the 2nd and even 3rd time!

This is just one one of many articles on this issue:

Subaru Outback Questions - Is anyone having issues with 2018 or 2019 Subaru Outback windshields b... - CarGurus

Regards,
Keith
We purchased a 2019 XV about 9 mos ago, and a few weeks back when I was. Washing it I found a large meandering single crack above the location where the rear view mirror is adhered to the windshield.
It’s clear that it has no impact point as its origin.

It is clearly a stress fracture from material defect.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts