Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum and really have enjoyed it.

My question is simply this .... If you already own a Subaru Crosstrek XV Hybrid would you purchase the car again, if you had a "do over"? I am asking specifically about the hybrid model. This purchase would be my first Subaru as well as my first hybrid.

I appreciate all responses both positive and "not so positive"

·
Registered
611 Posts
In Dec. I looked at them and had only compare the cost of gas mileage against the regular Crosstrek Premium. Which would have taken about 30,000 miles to break even. Not looking at the other little extras, more performance, and extra sound proofing. On top of that the Subaru Hybrid isn't selling so good, so you can get a pretty good deal on one. Even though I didn't buy one, I wish I had purchased one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've only had the car two weeks, so take this with a grain of salt, but... Yes, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. My Hybrid Touring (which I named "Shadowfax" -- only a fan of JRR Tolkien would understand) provides everything a non-Hybrid Crosstrek provides, plus a little more (tighter/quicker steering, a suspension that feels a bit more "bolted down", improved quietness and smoothness at speed on the highway, more low-end torque). There have been plenty of comments here and in various online sources about engine stop/start characteristics, and so on. The Hybrid does have its quirks, but I rather enjoy the quirks. It has personality -- something that the average vehicles on the market these days sorely lack.

And -- oh, yeah -- the fuel economy is outstanding. Measurement on the first few tanks of gas indicate that the actual fuel economy is about 3 MPG better than the instrument displays indicate, which are in turn better than the EPA mileage figures. I'm seeing about 36 MPG highway, and 33 MPG mixed. That could drop once Shadowfax is bro ken in, and I begin driving a bit more vigorously. Can't wait to do some moderate off-roading with it!

Mark

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your thoughts billybob, Shadowfax and SpaceCasey .... much appreciated

I am a wildlife photographer and at times make some long road trips that at times require some off road travels. For years I have made these trips in a 4 wheel drive truck ..... I feel that it is time to start getting better gas mileage and becoming a smaller carbon footprint and the Crosstrek hybrid makes a lot of sense.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just in case anyone references this thread in the future for deciding about a hybrid:

billybob said:
In Dec. I looked at them and had only compare the cost of gas mileage against the regular Crosstrek Premium. Which would have taken about 30,000 miles to break even.
You left off a zero there. It would take more like 300,000 miles to break even. Also, the additional environmental cost of the hybrid and its battery mean that the hybrid overall is the less green option. Check the full life-cycle ratings at http://www.greenercars.org/ (Good enough hybrids, like the Prius, overcome their manufacturing environmental cost by having much better gas mileage. The Crosstrek hybrid doesn't.)

There is no financial or environmental reason to buy the Crosstrek hybrid. It's not without some benefits - the nice green color and additional power seem good - but keep in mind that this comes at the cost of things like the spare tire. That's probably an unacceptable tradeoff for anyone who drives in remote areas or off road.

I'm a big fan of hybrids in general. But the Crosstrek hybrid is pointless. It does get better city mpg, but if you're driving just in the city, you shouldn't be buying a Subaru.

·
Registered
318 Posts
charon said:
Just in case anyone references this thread in the future for deciding about a hybrid:

billybob said:
In Dec. I looked at them and had only compare the cost of gas mileage against the regular Crosstrek Premium. Which would have taken about 30,000 miles to break even.
You left off a zero there. It would take more like 300,000 miles to break even. Also, the additional environmental cost of the hybrid and its battery mean that the hybrid overall is the less green option. Check the full life-cycle ratings at http://www.greenercars.org/ (Good enough hybrids, like the Prius, overcome their manufacturing environmental cost by having much better gas mileage. The Crosstrek hybrid doesn't.)

There is no financial or environmental reason to buy the Crosstrek hybrid. It's not without some benefits - the nice green color and additional power seem good - but keep in mind that this comes at the cost of things like the spare tire. That's probably an unacceptable tradeoff for anyone who drives in remote areas or off road.

I'm a big fan of hybrids in general. But the Crosstrek hybrid is pointless. It does get better city mpg, but if you're driving just in the city, you shouldn't be buying a Subaru.
This. Lithium and nickle mines are extremely awful. Parts of Canada and China where the mines are look like the surface of the moon and likely will for centuries.

I remember an old article that stated the Hummer H1 was less polluting than a Prius over the life of the vehicle from material production to junkyard. I'll try to locate it. And the debunks to it.

Subaru should have offered the hybrid's ride refinements in the limited option as well as the sweet green paint and turn signal mirrors. But the hybrids benefits a trivial at best.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Also, the additional environmental cost of the hybrid and its battery mean that the hybrid overall is the less green option. Check the full life-cycle ratings at Greener Cars (Good enough hybrids, like the Prius, overcome their manufacturing environmental cost by having much better gas mileage. The Crosstrek hybrid doesn't.)
From Greener Cars

Best by Class: Compact SUV

Starting with the latest model year, these vehicles scored highest in their vehicle class.

2015 SUBARU XV CROSSTREK HYBRID 2.0L ----- 46-----> Superior

First car in this ranking with the best score..

·
Registered
17 Posts
I see it's been a while since somebody posted in this "would you do it again." thread. We got our 2014 Crosstrek Hybrid in February 2014. We've taken two extensive road trips out west totally over 11,000 miles. I had one fear the entire time...A flat tire. Of course it didn't happen but the thought of a flat tire in the middle of the Nevada desert was a sobering one. I love the car, the mileage is about what I expected but since I live so close to my place of employment the daily drive is so short it doesn't make a huge difference. The idea of no spare tire is one I simply haven't been able to get used to. And of course it's my own fault. I never thought to ask, the salesman never told me, and I never saw it in the literature- even though it's there. Based on these I would have to say no, I wouldn't do it again.

rtvman

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yeah, it seems strange that a "Touring" hybrid doesn't have a spare tire but I wouldn't worry about it too much. The car I traded for my CrossTrek (Fiat Abarth) didn't have a spare. I put 40,000 miles on it. My 7 year old Shelby doesn't have a spare and I've put over 500,000 miles on motorcycles with no spare. Probably lucky but I've never been stranded or had to call for roadside assistance due to a flat. Enjoy!

·
Registered
20 Posts
My friend bought a 2014 Hybrid and we drove through the CO Rockies then to the Wasatch Range in UT and finally to WI via regular roads. Was really impressed by the ride and performance. We averaged 28 mpg for the trip. Liked it well enough that I ended up buying my own XV but opted for the Limited.

Don't think you can go wrong either way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, I'd buy it again.

Have had my '15 Hybrid Touring for about 11 months and almost 19,000 miles. Overall, I couldn't be happier with my choice. I didn't buy the hybrid because I expected it to pay for itself, or because I expected huge fuel economy gains over the gas version. I bought it for the other improvements (quieter cabin, tighter steering ratio, suspension, etc) and - yes - I think it's a nicer looking vehicle w/ the hybrid's wheels, clear taillights etc. Is that stuff alone worth the added cost? It was to me. YMMV. That it's also a hybrid w/ some added low-end torque is a bonus. With a Whispbar rack and bike carrier installed, I'm seeing repeatable real-world fuel economy of 34 MPG (average on a tank, calculated by me for mix of hwy and in-town) in fair weather and 30.9 MPG over the life of the car to-date (winter gas and idling pushes it lower from ~ Nov - Mar).

The only downside for me has been adjusting to the smaller cargo capacity vs. my last 2 cars (Honda Element and Hyundai Elantra Touring wagon). I have 2 small kids and their car seats often prevent me from folding the rear seats down. That means I'm limited to the relatively small area behind them, which has been a frustrating adjustment. It's not a fault of the vehicle itself though - I knew going in it was much smaller in that regard than anything I've owned save a '78 VW rabbit I had in college.

I didn't want a BIG vehicle this time out though, since most of my driving is solo on my commute. I wanted the fuel economy of the hyundai with the AWD of the Element and adequate ground clearance (live in a hilly part of PA that receives enough snow to make those things useful just for getting out of the driveway some days). The Crosstrek delivers on all fronts (Fuel Eco has actually been better than the Hyundai). The stop-start system and EV mode take a small amount of getting used to (for me, as one who's never had a car with such things before) but work seamlessly and there's something about NOT idling in traffic or at traffic lights that's just plain nice.

The ride is comfortable even on our pothole-laden roads, it's a joy to drive on area dirt & gravel roads, and the cabin w/ leather, sunroof, navigation, easy integration w/ Pandora and iphone... I suppose it stops somewhere short of being 'luxurious' - but for $30k off the lot? It's close enough for me.

So, yeah, I'd do it all over again without a second thought.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Honestly - no. I've had my Crosstrek for 16 months, and I consider it a mistake. I had an '07 Rav 4 before it. I was holping my Crosstrek Hybrid would give me much better economy whilst keeping good off road performance.

I got neither.

The fuel economy hovers around 25mpg. My Rav 4 could do 20 in the city, 30 on freeways.
The off road ability is, sadly, a lot worse than my Rav 4. I miss the Rav 4 every time I go out to the Mojave.

Other things I miss....
Throttle response. The Crosstrek has the weirdest throttle response. Sometimes, putting my foot to the floor actually makes the car slow down before it starts accelerating. It's horrible. Sometimes, if it's popped out to electric only and I'm stopped - the engine will pop back on and the car will start creeping...it's unexpected and frankly - f'ing dangerous.
Space. The back of the Crosstrek Hybrid just isn't as big as I'd want.
Comfort. Real surprise here - the Crosstrek Hybrid is honestly - quite uncomfortable. Too harshly sprung. Rav 4 was a nicer place to be - even though I went for top-of-the-line Crosstrek.
Servicing. Both Subaru in Sherman Oaks and Subaru in Burbank are awful. I was spoiled with taking my Rav 4 for servicing - it was like rolling up to a fancy hotel. WiFi, coffee, snacks, competent agents. Subaru in both places is just crap.

If I were doing it all again, I'd have kept my Rav 4 - kept it for road trips and desert excursions...and leased a small electric car for urban commuting like a Fiat 500e (which you can get for $49 a month now) or Nissan Leaf instead.

I was so excited to get my Crosstrek - but it's been a disappointment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Honestly - no. I've had my Crosstrek for 16 months, and I consider it a mistake. I had an '07 Rav 4 before it. I was holping my Crosstrek Hybrid would give me much better economy whilst keeping good off road performance.

I got neither.

The fuel economy hovers around 25mpg. My Rav 4 could do 20 in the city, 30 on freeways.
The off road ability is, sadly, a lot worse than my Rav 4. I miss the Rav 4 every time I go out to the Mojave.

Other things I miss....
Throttle response. The Crosstrek has the weirdest throttle response. Sometimes, putting my foot to the floor actually makes the car slow down before it starts accelerating. It's horrible. Sometimes, if it's popped out to electric only and I'm stopped - the engine will pop back on and the car will start creeping...it's unexpected and frankly - f'ing dangerous.
Space. The back of the Crosstrek Hybrid just isn't as big as I'd want.
Comfort. Real surprise here - the Crosstrek Hybrid is honestly - quite uncomfortable. Too harshly sprung. Rav 4 was a nicer place to be - even though I went for top-of-the-line Crosstrek.
Servicing. Both Subaru in Sherman Oaks and Subaru in Burbank are awful. I was spoiled with taking my Rav 4 for servicing - it was like rolling up to a fancy hotel. WiFi, coffee, snacks, competent agents. Subaru in both places is just crap.

If I were doing it all again, I'd have kept my Rav 4 - kept it for road trips and desert excursions...and leased a small electric car for urban commuting like a Fiat 500e (which you can get for $49 a month now) or Nissan Leaf instead.

I was so excited to get my Crosstrek - but it's been a disappointment.
Different strokes, I guess. My wife has a 2012 Rav 4, and I dislike nearly everything about it except for the extra cargo room. I avoid driving it as much as possible.

If you want better mileage from your crosstrek, it's not difficult to achieve, but you have to use the tools provided (mpg gauge/meter, %accelerator, etc) and may have to change the way you drive slightly. Lead-foot acceleration and running at WOT will always result in disappointing mpg numbers. Conversely, easing your foot off the accelerator when you're cruising along goes a long way toward moving that MPG needle to the right and the CVT is pretty adept at keeping the car moving along at fairly low RPM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looked through my Fuelly logs. The worst single-tank average mpg I've seen was 26.8 mpg (in February during a huge snow storm & cold snap where I spent more time than I should letting the car idle to warm up while I dug out of the snow). When the weather is less severe, sights like this are the norm after my ~ 50 minute commute.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm in a unique position to answer you. My husband has a 2015 Hybrid, and I have a 2015 5-spd. And if I had my choice of the 2, knowing what I know now about them, I would get the hybrid. For me it's the power. It offers much better acceleration in both taking off and passing. I don't like not having a spare. But I would have a roof rack and keep one there. As for the carbon footprint thing, meh....not impressed with what Subaru has done. There is no environmental benefit really. As pointed out earlier by another...it is sort of pointless.

Good luck in your purchase!
Cheers,
Keith

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you want better mileage from your crosstrek, it's not difficult to achieve, but you have to use the tools provided (mpg gauge/meter, %accelerator, etc) and may have to change the way you drive slightly. Lead-foot acceleration and running at WOT will always result in disappointing mpg numbers. Conversely, easing your foot off the accelerator when you're cruising along goes a long way toward moving that MPG needle to the right and the CVT is pretty adept at keeping the car moving along at fairly low RPM.
I'm fully aware of all that. Occasionally - with nice traffic flow - maybe - I'll get 40MPG on a short journey that's largely downhill. I don't drive fast - frankly - I'm bordering on hypermiling as it is. And I get 25 on average with my work commute. Maybe 30-32 on freeways.

I've tried - damn hard - to get better mileage. The car just won't deliver. Period.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Comfort. Real surprise here - the Crosstrek Hybrid is honestly - quite uncomfortable. Too harshly sprung.
I'm glad someone else has said this. I drive my husband's 2015 Hybrid when we have 4 or 5 people in there. (I prefer the greater HP)
But it rides way to hard compared to my 2015 5-spd. :mad:

And we also have 2 jeeps A 2010 wrangler and also an OLD CJ.....and their bumpy rides is still more comfortable.
When the hybrid hits a bump you FEEL it instead of feeling the shocks and suspension doing their job. (If that makes sense.)
-Keith

1 - 20 of 25 Posts