Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone at work asked me that yesterday...and to be honest i didnt know how to answer. I ended up saying no.....But it really made me wonder, i had never thought about that before. For me, I have always wanted a subaru, there was just something about them. So when the crosstrek came out it seemed like it was made just for me. The crosstrek is the first vehicle i have ever purchased by myself and i am very happy with it, i feel like im part of the big subaru "club" now :)

So, would you have purchased the crosstrek if it was made by a different company?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yep. It ticked all the right boxes. Subaru's reputation for quality did help though.
If it were the "Peugeot XV" I wouldn't have bought it...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Here is my perspective: I loved my 2007 Impreza Outback Sport SE. LOVED IT! But, it was getting up in miles, 6 years old, and I began to think about trading it in. I was supremely dissapointed in the styling of the 08-11 Imprezas. For the life of me I don't know how one goes from the agressive look of 06-07's to the bubble mobile of 08-11's?

Anyway, I liked the 2012 redesign of the Impreza and thought this may be the ticket. That is, until I sat in one. It seemed way to low to the ground. The "sports" are not Outback style, just cooler wheels. I live in northern MA. We get snow. Lots of snow! I need clearance. In fact, if there was one criticism of my 07, it would have been ground clearance. When I learned more about the XV, it just fit right into my needs. So yes, I am a loyal Subaru customer, but had they not come out with the XV I am not sure what I would be driving right now. It is the true new Impreza Outback Sport.

·
Registered
927 Posts
a LOT of influence comes from branding..... Reputation behind the vehicle is a big concern. I can't see another manufacturer putting something like the XV on the market with all the right equipment and economy the XV has to offer.

I don't think I would buy the XV by another manufacturer... who else has symmetrical AWD and CVT? noone... therefore the XV of another manufacturer would NOT get a second look from me.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I definitely wouldn't have. Not because I wouldn't feel like it was good enough... If it were the exact same vehicle with another brand name on it... well of course it would be good enough.

But I came to the XV because I wanted a Baja, not because it was a Subaru, but because it looked like a fun vehicle. Over the course of researching the Baja I learned a lot about Subaru as a brand, their standard features and safety provisions, and so on. When the Baja proved to be ... hard to get ahold of, I decided to stick with the Subaru brand based on what I'd read. Then it was just a matter of finding the model that fit me best. Came down to the Impreza Sport and the XV.

So no, with the way I came to it, I wouldn't have bought the XV had it not been made by Subaru.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Like many here, I would not have purchased the XV had it been a different manufacturer. Since it was the brand itself that probably put the gold on that little egg, the car being a Subie just solidified the deal.

I was fortunate in that I had an objective view at the time I was in the market to buy. While the two other brands I was comfortable with, did have vehicles with the function I wanted, they had nothing with the form that intrigued me. So I had to make a brand jump. I compared similar form/functions in many brands and it was Subie that won out. I already knew how Subie owners love their cars, and the reasons for it. Blending that with the XV meeting the function I wanted and then I liked the form... It was Subie for me.

Had the XV been built by Kia... I would not have even looked at it. Had it been built by Toyota or Jeep, it may have been a bit harder to determine. But in the end, it still would have been the strong Subie brand that did it. I admit... I took a very hard look at the new Land Rover Evoque (very hard). But again, it was Subie that rolled up all my requirements into the full XV package (obviously, price of ownership was a key in that one too).

Seems like a lot of folks would not have bought the XV had it not been a Subie. Maybe this shows how well Subie thinks its cars through... They come up with new and different, but never forget where they came from. There's something to be said for a company who just gets it! :)

·
Registered
800 Posts
I can't really say. Maybe? This is the first new car I've ever purchased. I started off considering Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mazda, Subaru, etc... I liked the crosstrek a lot because it met the needs I wanted for my car. The Subaru reputation helped for sure, but this being my first Subaru I don't have any previous experience with the brand. If the crosstrek was made by another reputable japanese brand, I probably would have bought it still.

Overall, I bought the crosstrek because I wanted a versatile, reliable vehicle. Subaru's cars met this need precisely.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I think my answer would be no. The Crosstrek is my third Subaru and I am definitely a fanboy of the brand. I was driving an Outback Sport that had some bad rust issues and started to give me trouble. I knew it wasn't a Subaru issue and rather just a consequence of the car being originally from up north. I wasn't really looking for what the Crosstrek offered in my next car, I just happened to come across it and really liked it. I NEVER considered any of the competition because I had found what I wanted.

Had the Crosstrek not existed, I would have definitely looked at other cars in Subaru's lineup first, but consider other brands as well. If the EXACT car had been offered by Honda, Toyota, whatever, I probably wouldn't have considered it just because the Crosstrek screams Subaru so much. Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I would not have bought my XV if is was not a Subaru. I looked at Honda, Kia, Toyota and masda. The Subie blew them away

·
Registered
820 Posts
Yes. Would have bought if made by different manufacturer. As long as it had a flat 4, awd, mpgs, price, safety and a manual tranny. Hmmm....who makes that? Only Subaru! Thank goodness really- the inclusions in this vehicle at this price point is quite unique. A awd cuv with a manual transmission is only made by Subaru. Mazda makes a similar product in the CX5 but awd can be had with automatic only. I think that's why Subaru has so many repeat buyers. Once a customer realizes what you get for the $$, it's hard to walk away from that amount of value.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I can say that the XV has sold me on the Subaru brand itself. First one... yes... last.... not likely! I really like the Legacy as well... but I need my Jeep as my 'toy' and DD... I get pretty dirty at work and it transfers over into the Jeep. I keep it clean, but having a 'nice' DD is definitely out of the question for me at this point being a Maintenance Tech. for Chevron-Phillips Chemical Co. I know there are seat covers and such... but...

What I am saying is..... The XV sold me on the BRAND and what it stands for in every aspect.... I don't feel that the 'competition' is up to par with what Subaru has to offer.... Symmetrical AWD, CVT, economy... etc.... Sure there are other vehicles that peak my interest, but its like comparing apples to oranges.... just doesn't seem fair to compare.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Probably not. I was initially shopping for a Mazda CX-5. Subaru was not even on my radar (I always thought it was too pricey for my budget). My salesman just introduced me to the Crosstrek and I immediately fell for it.

In the end, Subaru won over Mazda. I still catch glimpses of CX-5 on the road and have "what if" thoughts...

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think a big part of what makes the XV, the XV is that Subaru makes it. There are a number of other manufactures that make a small SUV like this but the fact that Subaru has learned the recipe for what makes their cars so good is the fact that it is a Subaru.

So, if Honda, Kia, BMW, Mazda, Buick, Toyota or another had made it, it would not be the XV.

To be more frank, I didn't buy this because it was a Subaru, I bought it because it was an XV and Subaru's DNA made it better. I had everything that I was looking for.

·
Registered
354 Posts
XVEwing said:
Probably not. I was initially shopping for a Mazda CX-5. Subaru was not even on my radar (I always thought it was too pricey for my budget). My salesman just introduced me to the Crosstrek and I immediately fell for it.

In the end, Subaru won over Mazda. I still catch glimpses of CX-5 on the road and have "what if" thoughts...
So did you test drive the Mazda? At first that's what I REALLY wanted was the mazda cx-5 but after driving the mazda we were not impressed plus when we were done with the test drive the sales guy was like do you want the red or the silver & we were like neither we wanted the blue. But after driving the Crosstrek we were sold plus the fact they didn't push us to buy something off the lot cuz they didn't have the color we wanted! The Mazda CX-5 still catches my eye but I love our Crosstrek & have no regrets!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I started looking before they became available and kind of lucked into my XV (some dude sold it back w/600mi), but this car provides what very few out there do (showing well for Subaru).

I wasn't necessarily looking for a Subaru when I started (although I had wanted a WRX since they first came out), but every time I said "I want this in my car" Subaru was the only one to step up each time. Manual Trans -check, quality and reliability (most used Subies start at 150k miles) -check, 4x4 -check, raised suspension -check

If this car had been available under a different manufacturer (with exactly the same standards, options, etc.) I most likely would have bought it, but the thing is nobody is really putting anything close on to the market right now.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Replying to Tmorgan replying to my post:

Yes I did test drive the CX-5. Was I impressed? Enough to have been willing to walk away from my first choice XV if they did not give me the deal that I wanted. But they gave me the price that I asked for and I have no regrets. If knew that the BRZ was coming out, that's a different story.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Actually, I would have preferred if the XV was made by another company (Ford). Of course, the only reason for that is the Ford dealer is a hell of a lot closer to my house than any Subaru dealer.

It would not have mattered who built it though. The XV was the only car that checked all of the boxes in my must have list that fell within my budget.

·
Registered
74 Posts
No - being a Subaru is what made me want it. Had a Subaru Legacy for 12 years & loved that car - it was a tank! Hope this turns out as sweet, will keep it a long time as well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Prior to this car being released in America the wife and I were looking at the Kia Sportage AWD model. So glad we went Subaru.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts