Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! First time posting. Bought my 2016 Crosstrek Limited a week ago. I had no intention of buying the service plan but the financing guy pretty much strong armed me into it.

Today I find out there was a bit of a snafu with the financing and it looks like the lender doesn't want to cover the cost of the service plan. I could go in and pay that money outright or I can cancel the service plan which is what I'm leaning toward doing?

Those of you who have it, is it worth if? If you don't have it, do you have any regrets?

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
259 Posts
I personally regret not getting it on mine. My engine has been pulled out twice in ~42k miles. Once because a rocker arm fell off and damaged a cam lobe, the second because oil was leaking around the oil pan. I tried going through SOA to get an extended warranty recently, but once the 30k warranty was up they wouldn't budge. I tried to get just a powertrain warranty and that was a no go either.

I would much rather pay the warranty premium over the life of the vehicle loan than to have to pay the repair bill after the warranty. I saw the write up for engine R&R and it doesn't come cheap...

·
Registered
29 Posts
On our 2012 impreza We ended up getting a replacement passenger seat cushion when the airbag sensor in the seat failed at 50k ($800+) and a replacement climate control when it wouldn't stay in vent or defrost because the detents at the end of travel each way stopped detenting (600+) then got a refund of $300 when we traded our car in at 75k, which means the $1400 cost of the warranty got me $1700+ so it was worth it in my case.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I bought the extra 7 years/70,000 mile warranty just because of the STi package. If a wheel breaks I really don't feel like coming up with the money to fix it, and it won't happen in the first 36,000 miles. Personally it's not a bad investment but some auto insurance companies offer their own warranties that will cover you when the manufacturer warranty expires.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have to agree with that assessment. However, if it buys you piece of mind...
it's more of a stop loss, for the next 100k other than a $100 deductible per issue, I'm not going to have any unforeseen expenses. in 40,000 miles it wouldn't have been worth it, however i'd have gotten most of my money back too. in 50,000 it probably would have been break even, by 75k i was up money. and if you think of most cars, especially with all the electronics now, for me the biggest would be the hybrid battery, if it ends up paying for that it will be way more than worth it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I work for an insurance company (GAP more specifically), and over the course of my time doing this, I have literally only seen one vehicle use their entire service plan. Every other plan gets refunded in the event of a total loss, since the vehicles were without issue. If a vehicle is going to have major issues (like needing an engine pulled), normally those signs arise within the first 36k miles (within the factory warranty). But like Hacksaw said, if it buys you piece of mind, go for it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Dealerships buy extended warranties from other companies, then charge you way more for it. If you want an extended warranty, then just go to the companies and buy it direct. You will save a ton of money that way. Last one I did was through warrantydirect or something and it was less than half what the dealership was going to charge, and the dealership was going to go through the same company.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the Gold Plus or whatever it is, and after the primary warranty is up, if you don't end up using it, then you get your money back.

Plus it is all through Subaru, so no third party parts or third party mechanics.

It even pays off during the primary warranty (without affecting your money back).

I blew a tire around 8k miles and the road hazard from the extended warranty covered a new tire for me.

And from what I hear, Subaru does a good job with the road hazard also, if the tires are worn enough that one new tire would cause strain on the drivetrain, they will replace all 4.

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
Appreciate the feedback xRuhRohx.

I skipped the Gold extended service plan/warranty (went with the Silver extended warranty) and realized that a driver like me would have greatly benefited from it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just purchased my Crosstrek and I'm on the fence about the extended warranty and maintenance. Specifically on the maintenance, would they replace a worn belt/clutch/brake pad if it were to fail their inspection? It's like that LifeLock commercial, what good is it to monitor the problem if they won't fix it? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
I believe wear items under the regular warranty are covered up to 36,000 miles.

As for items subject to wear (such as wiper blades, brake pads, etc), they may be covered under the extended warranty under the Gold Plus plan, as it does mention wear and tear related coverage.

Gold Plus

Includes Classic Plan coverage plus air conditioning, electrical, steering, front suspension, brakes and more.
Subaru Added Security - Extended Warranty | Subaru

The site isn't too helpful as it doesn't completely outline every single detail, so contacting a local Subaru dealer and/or Subaru of America would be the next best resource.

IMO, if you work on your own vehicle, it may not be worth the additional expense.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts