Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I forgot all sources of photography when I went Tuesday to a Orange County and went off-road on the Holy Jim trail and on afterwards to the holy jim waterfall hike. It did just as good as my Xterra minus having to rake less of a departure angle. I wish it had had the two inch spacers for the springs but I was impressed.
I did have one photo from an older trip and the xterra.

Attachments

·
Registered
820 Posts
Yea, the front and rear angles do hold it back a bit. I came out of a 4" lifted TJ so it does take a little getting use to. Nice Xterra-looks like you have some pretty aggressive tread. Still have it? I bought my daughter a Infiniti qx4 with the 3.5L motor for use in high school. It had 140K on it at purchase and nearly 190 when we sold it. It ran like a tank! Almost forgot...you might want to search the forum about the spacers. I seem to remember reading someone had found a 1" kit.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey no I sold that for the XV. Unfortunately. Yeah I saw the spacers but I am holding off for a while. One-day I will do them.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yer in my neck'o the woods. ;)

The road out there passes the Flying Falcons RC Air Field as well. In years past it has gotten washed out pretty bad, probably in pretty good shape right now.

The trailhead for Holy Jim can get awfully crowded very early. Popular spot for Orange-Countians. The hike is a good one though, the falls very pretty. Have been in there twice in the past 20 years of OC residency.

A more fun trip for 'trekkers would be a couple of canyons north, Maple Springs, where you can drive up into and over the entire Santiago range, part of Cleveland Forest. Real popular place for soft-roaders, MTB'rs, and hikers. It also can get real busy on weekends. It's the closest dirt to OC for the entire region.

There's also the Siverwood/Arrowhead/Big Bear area. Lots to see an do, but many of the routes can get WAY too gnarly for a car. The jeepers and dirtbikers cover the area heavily.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
CJBROWN said:
A more fun trip for 'trekkers would be a couple of canyons north, Maple Springs, where you can drive up into and over the entire Santiago range, part of Cleveland Forest. Real popular place for soft-roaders, MTB'rs, and hikers. It also can get real busy on weekends. It's the closest dirt to OC for the entire region.
I would like to know more about this. Do you have the names of any specific routes?

·
Registered
194 Posts
There are four entrances to Santiago area of Cleveland Forest:
Maple Springs off Santiago Road
Indian Truck trail out of Menefee
Main Divide off Ortega Hiway (74)
Bedford Road out of Corona

For OC folks, we access it via Maple Springs. Santiago Road runs between Rancho Santa Margarita and the city of Orange, the latter going out Chapman Ave, past Jamboree, and follow it to Silverado Canyon Road. This last road you continue on to the end and it enters Cleveland Forest. As long as it's not raining the gate is usually open.

Come from the south, El Toro Road off the 5, or from RSM Live Oak Canyon Road. Many people are familiar with Cooks Corner - biker haven at the intersection of Live Oak Canyon Rd and Santiago Canyon Rd. The turn off to Silverado is closer to the north end than the south. From the north, just a few miles past Irvine Lake.

Some of the roads up top can be pretty rough, but nothing a 'trek couldn't handle with a prudent driver taking their time. Very scenic and remote. Perhaps you heard about the kids lost up there last week - idiots almost died, got lost in the brush and got dehydrated.

Check it out on google maps, then google earth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts