Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious as to how everyone is using their Suby in the snow. I have found if the conditions aren't overly bad VDC on is the way to go. Climbing the mountain access road to go snowboarding with heavy snow I found VDC off was much much better. It felt very sluggish going up in heavy snow with the VDC on.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ClubCrosstrek said:
Interesting. Would that be because the tires briefly slip a lot in the snow so the VDC kept killing power to them?
That's how I felt while driving. Only noticed it during heavy snow.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've driven in 6-8" if fresh snow so far and have played with the VDC on and off a bit in various hilly terrain. My general rule with it is: if I want to have fun and drift a little I turn it off, If I want to play it safe and drive like a responsible adult I leave it on.

I haven't found a situation where I need to turn it off to get somewhere, and I haven't noticed it slowing me down on slippery up hills, I find myself passing people with no issues on icy roads which I never would have done in my old car.
There is one situation where I feel like it may be limiting power when I want it; when I take an icy corner a little faster than I should, it seems to kill the power as opposed to letting me point the front wheels in the right direction and try to power out of it. I have tried simulating the same situation with the VDC off and see if the car handles how I want it to and I'm honestly not sure if it was any better. I would like to test it some more before I say it is definitely better on or off in this particular situation, but finding a safe place to do this isn't always easy, especially when I am trying to minimize the risk of other traffic or going into a ditch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts