Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put this up elsewhere, but this IS the gallery... so I've uploaded to here as well. :)

A couple of photos from a weekend a couple of weeks back with the Subaru 4WD Club - crossing the Wollondilly River in the Southern Highlands just south west of Sydney.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
927 Posts
I looked at my wife and said, " COME AWN!!!! SEE?!?!? " showing her the pics with a smile....


I got 'THE LOOK' and said... "DON'T EVEN THINK about it..... That's why you have the Jeep!!!"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
820 Posts
I love how the water line looks like its over the front grill and onto the hood, uh bonnet?! (Not sure which you call). Fantastic though! It appears the water has the perfect rocky base to drive through without sinking into mud or sand which is the #1 concern here in SC. Just curious, did you walk it first?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RubySu said:
I love how the water line looks like its over the front grill and onto the hood, uh bonnet?! (Not sure which you call). Fantastic though! It appears the water has the perfect rocky base to drive through without sinking into mud or sand which is the #1 concern here in SC. Just curious, did you walk it first?
Bonnet, yes. LOL

As part of a convoy of more than a dozen vehicles, the leaders usually walk it. By the time I had my run I knew exactly where obstacles lay. This is also a very familiar local river crossing for the club, so no surprises.

The bottom is covered in fairly large, very rounded and slippery boulders. These are inter-filled with smaller stones, levelling the path a little. It's still vey undulating, but because it flows reasonably fast there is no mud or silt on the bottom - just sand as it washes past.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
820 Posts
Omaroo said:
RubySu said:
I love how the water line looks like its over the front grill and onto the hood, uh bonnet?! (Not sure which you call). Fantastic though! It appears the water has the perfect rocky base to drive through without sinking into mud or sand which is the #1 concern here in SC. Just curious, did you walk it first?
Bonnet, yes. LOL

As part of a convoy of more than a dozen vehicles, the leaders usually walk it. By the time I had my run I knew exactly where obstacles lay. This is also a very familiar local river crossing for the club, so no surprises.

The bottom is covered in fairly large, very rounded and slippery boulders. These are inter-filled with smaller stones, levelling the path a little. It's still vey undulating, but because it flows reasonably fast there is no mud or silt on the bottom - just sand as it washes past.
Those are the best kind of river crossings! I absolutely love these type of days. Group of like-minded outdoor adventurist doing what we love to do. 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Awesome! I saw your video on one of your other posts - looked like a blast of a day!!!

What did you have to do to the any of the electronics before you went in?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
silverrey said:
Awesome! I saw your video on one of your other posts - looked like a blast of a day!!!

What did you have to do to the any of the electronics before you went in?
Thanks, and yes, we did :) I disconnected both fans. That's it. The modern Subaru engine's HT parts are remarkably unaffected by contact with water. We had an old ('early 90's) L-Series with us and it coughed and spluttered, needing plenty of WD40 to expel the water from where it wasn't welcome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
820 Posts
I'm sure you know this Omaroo, but for those who don't- the WD in WD40 stands for Water Displacement. Thought that was a cool little trinket of knowledge when I learned- all I have! (Trinkets)!
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top