Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been watching a lot of WRC(World Rally Championship in case you didn't know) and I saw a Mini Countryman tearing it up in Portugal. My question is do you guys think we will see a rally XV from Subaru at some point? Or is it too similar to the Impreza?

·
Registered
603 Posts
I thought I heard that Subie pulled out of the races to alleviate some stresses from the economy. Maybe it wasn't this particular race they pulled from?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yep, Subaru pulled out of the WRC after 2008 because of the economic downturn. Or that is what they say. I've always felt that when the rules change to smaller cars with 1.6 liter turbo engines, Subaru no longer had a platform to run on and didn't want to spend the money to develop a new one. They also had some major issues in their last few years from what I remember. Mechanical issues and just outright poor results.

I was really hoping when the rumors of the next generation WRX was splitting off from the Impreza to become its own model, that it would be developed with the WRC in mind. Then I saw the concept. I am disappoint. Still a cool looking concept though.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
I don't think Subaru will return to WRC anytime soon.

It's that they CAN'T. I heard that the rules pretty much block out Subaru from even entering. Subaru doesn't have a 1.6L turbo engine, nor does it have a transversely-mounted engine for its main lineup (supposedly the controlled-gearbox is for transverse engines only).

But do know that Subaru does compete in production car classes (such as Group N, European Rally Championship [formerly IRC, Intercontinental Rally Championship], etc.) and does quite well.

·
Registered
714 Posts
The new STI/WRX prototype car is within the required dimensions for WRC, the last generations were not. So it's still a possibility. Also, if you look at the new prototype car there is ZERO way that it is a boxer AWD chassis. Yes, I know this is a prototype and may not be the production model and so on. But if it was it could not use the current set up, there is not enough distance in front of the front axle for the motor and bell housing.
It's anyone's guess as to if they will produce a motor but there are rumors overseas of a smaller turbo motor that would meet WRC requirements. The FULL WRC requirements can be read online on the FIA website. Subaru could make a WRC car in the next few years. It's more than possible. They're branching out a lot already so who knows!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts