Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Not to pick sides here but the jeep Cherokee and ford escape both came out with a 2wheel drive but it didn't sell very well and all SUVs share the unibody with cars but the large ones use truck drive train and a lot of the small ones use a more car like drive train and motors

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
Modern day "SUV's" are nothing more than tall wagons with a taller suspension.

I think what Crunchtrek is referring to is that the XV is definitely not an SUV in the old-fashioned sense.

SUV's used to be body-on-frame vehicles purpose built for the sole purpose to drive off-road, tow, etc (basically truck capability) without sacrificing passenger and cargo capacity like pickup trucks do. Basically, the bed was removed for room for passengers. Their on-road capabilities were an afterthought, though they were very capable off-road.

Today, most "SUV's" are nothing more than tall unibody wagons with no truck structure (that the body-on-frame construction is, a truck frame) and primarily intended for use on pavement, with off-road capability taking a back seat in priority.

So although Crunchtrek comes off as someone who doesn't know what an "SUV" is, I would have to agree with Crunchtrek in that the XV isn't a "true SUV", but a crossover, the term used fo describe a unibody vehicle with some or watered-down characteristics of "true" body-on-frame SUV's.

Yes, today's media and organizations refer to crossovers as "SUV's", but they are a far cry from the once heavy-duty truck-based SUV's of years back.

In fact, it is stated in my owner's manual:
Because of the AWD feature and higher ground clearance, your SUBARU can be driven on ordinary roads or off-road. But please keep in mind that an AWD SUBARU is a passenger car and is neither a conventional off-road vehicle nor an all-terrain vehicle.

·
Registered
285 Posts
doh, double posted while editing.

Crunchtrek said:
Making a car taller doesn't make it an SUV. Standing by that.

Both of these Subaru wagons have more ground clearance than an XV. They are still cars.

^^^ I took these these pics, I didn't look for them on the internet. The green one was mine, the brown was in my back yard borrowing some tires and wheels for a car show ^^^

These I had for my lifted imprezas. All on 5X100 wheels. The ones second to the left are 225/55/17s for size reference.

------------------------------------------------------------------

The website below hosts our old photos of what we did for many years with old Subarus and lift kits. Go to the Gallery, for the majority, I either took the pics or am in them.
http://www.hatchpatrol.com

These are MUCH more capable off road than an XV. They are all higher off the ground than an XV, they are still cars.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I fully understand what you're saying. The XV is a lifted car. I'm not debating that since we all know the XV is an Impreza save for some suspension bits. Its not classified anywhere in any publication, etc. as anything but an SUV. Semantics.

What this has to do with my original post, I do not know.

My point is, if Subaru is going to add packages to the XV lineup they should have substance behind them. Nobody wants stickers and fake spoilers.

Its like when some dolt takes a basic Impreza and adds an STi wing to the trunk. Everybody knows its not an STi... its dumb. Meanwhile the reverse is also true. Take an STi, delete visual bits and make it a sleeper. Very much awesome. I don't know why that's so hard to understand.

Subaru needs an XT or STi XV and it needs to utilize its SUV ground clearance. Why on Earth would they want to lower it back to Impreza standards and tack on a spoiler that does nothing?

I know, because a fool and his money are easily separated.

P.S. Mucho respect for your muddy wagons :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
If they plan on lowering the XV, they will have to call it an Impreza. They've had an XT Forester forever, I don't see why they would lower an XV if they wanted to add a a turbo.

I agree whole heartedly about function over form. My Jeep fits that profile very well. MY XV has proper street tires on it except for when it snows, then I put on my snow tires. The idea of putting big heavy all/mud terrains seems crazy to me with out a dual range transmission. These already have 0 power at 0 miles an hour, adding taller tires will just rob power. I know this because of how many times I put bigger tires on Subarus in the past. My imprezas got a piggy back chip that helped boost power. But the cars were still useless for slow motion off road stuff. But they looked cool as HELL! These days they put the older dual range transmissions in the GS Imprezas to make up for that.
You'll note though that lots of Forester XT owners have lowered them to the ground.

I don't have a problem with a hood scoop that does nothing but look cool though. I searched out hoods with scoops for all my imprezas that weren't RSs.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Subaru showed an XV STI concept with lowered ride height and tack-on plastic spoilers. Still higher than the Impreza.

I can't remember if it was SEMA or the Auto Salon. I'll look for a link. But I think you'll agree that's not the direction they need to be going.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You all are messed up. After seeing those Photoshoped (C) Subaru XV STIs, all I want to do is trade my XV for it! Great work @Schonuff and @Crunchtrek

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks!

Its too bad Subaru seems completely uninterested in making a performance variant of anything outside the WRX/STi and Forester XT. You could argue that the XT and STi have both been watered down and/or neglected recently and Subaru has "beige-ified" their entire line-up.

Whatever they're doing its working as far as sales go. Hopefully they're just being smart, biding their time and investing in performance models only when necessary... as long as they eventually do it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was hoping they were going to put this through into the market, I would have purchased it within a heartbeat!

Marketing wise, I agree with you. More basic Subis are on the showroom floor; however, prices are just right for first-time new car buyers as well. Mix reliability, durability, and low price together and you are bound to have sales soar!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
That's a mean looking Fozzy.

But I want a WRX hatch with ground clearance. And I bet there's a good many people in the world willing to put money down on exactly that.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Not anywhere in the same topic, but I've always wondered why the BRZ is rear wheel drive instead of AWD. You can't tell me sales wouldn't increase with AWD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Many reasons. First the BRZ was really just a way for Toyota to spread the cost of developing a small, cheap sports car. Subaru gets a cut of the profits from lending their engine tech. It was a no-lose situation for FHI.

But it wouldn't be allowed to compete with the WRX and if you add AWD the price point would be too close. That's assuming the chassis would accept AWD.

IMO Subaru needs more WRX and true STI variants. BRZ is NOT a Subaru and not selling. Time to re-focus

·
Registered
225 Posts
Thanks for the insight. I guess I just would like to see a legit Subie coupe. I don't see the BRZ being around much longer. WRX and STI are pretty awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I still think the BRZ is a great little car. I'd consider it if I didn't live in a 4 season state. But another unfortunate side effect of this car is that its showing Subaru that there's no market in the US for niche, fun little things and its negatively affecting variants like a WRX hatch or a more powerful STI or turbo Crosstrek.

Its not that these cars wouldn't sell its that they wouldn't sell in numbers that Subaru would consider worth it.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts